Danse Macabre Part 1
- Link to the musics : All Playlists https://app.box.com/s/slbcnytj3qhkv6pjy5docwmiazgefehs
- Unique musics : https://app.box.com/s/rjmns82tw4994hyx7t5ob507775ii9pe
- Before the game starts, while making characters and stuff, loop this playlist Normal-Prima
- Qualities :
Each player chooses a quality in the list. He will succeed all his attempts in relation to his quality or using his artifact. For all other rolls, it's a die.
Players are mandated to investigate a monastery where there has been a suspicious murder. All candles from the library come from the seller Eugene Clavicle the skeleton merchant. As a result, they release a poison that drives you crazy.
Father Arnaud is the head of bookbinding. He has to right to fix any books. Including the books at level 4. But he does not have the right to read them. he in fact read one and that drove him mad. He then was contacted by Eugene, who sold him poisonous candles. Father Arnaud was glad and willing to poison the whole monastery.
Father Arnaud, read the story of Saint Thibaud de Vélène, a saint, that turned mad and killed everyone and turned their bones into a monument. Arnaud started to admire him a lot.
Father Etienne started to do some very bad work because of the poison. In particular he drew a very bad image of the Saint Thibaud de Vélène monument. That made Arnaud very angry and he decided to kill him, shame him (that's why he's naked) and put the paper in his mouth.
Presentation of the library: Music Edward Cisorhand It is a large monastery dedicated to theology. The greatest of sciences. 4 levels of library.
Description of the monsatery: Great towers, yellow stone. Path difficult to access need to go through a rope. Beautiful view in the mountains.
There's two "tracks" one advances with the time, no matter what the players do. It's the "atmosphere track" One advances only with the player's actions. It's the "scenario track" If the "Atmosphere tracks" ends before the players finish the scenario track, there's a consequence.
The actual time on the atmosphere track is flexible. No problem to delay a bit or go a bit faster on the indicative times.
- Normal music (when nothing is happening) : Playlist Normal Latharne la silencieuse
- When seeing the dead: Edward Cisorhand
First week, there is a suicide that looks like a murder. Father Etienne (illuminator ) is found dead, fallen from a tower naked. Players find an unreadable letter in the mouth of the dead. Finding the letter in the dead man's mouth: Music Danse Macabre
Atmosphere track (advances with the time)
- 10min Everyone stops to go to pray
- 25 min All Axes are gone.
- 40min Dead animal before their door
- 55min Sinister sound, like a sinister laugh, actually it's a squeaky door
- 70min Someone locks players in a room by knocking down a piece of furniture, broken piece of furniture. When they go out, the bridges are sabotaged
Scenario track (advances only with the player's actions)
Purpose: To determine if it is suicide, murder or heresy. In order to call reinforcements. Soldiers came with them and for lack of evidence will return.
They can see father Etienne's body. There's a weird letter in his mouth. Music Danse Macabre
The letter looks like a part of Father Etienne's illumination, but no book has any missing illumination (because it comes from a book that Father Arnaud was restoring, but there are other copies of this book.)
At the moment when they say that to the senior father, someone was listening to the door. They hear someone running away A little later, a book is found burned in the library (it was the book from which came the illumination)
The remains of the book are illegible. The title, everything burned. On the other hand, the book has an extremely particular format. Finding another copy, they can find the illumination. => So it's a murder! A soldier will remain in reinforcement.
Study and topologies of known heresies (title of the book) The book lists various known heresies. Ex: The church that burned 25 times
Ex: The chewing vampire
The page in question speaks of a person, initially considered a saint, who heard the voice of God. Saint Thibaut of Velène He had a cohort of followers.
He was finally tried as a heretic, the day the voice of gods gave him the order to have his whole village executed and he began to erect a monument with the bones.
Illumination is supposed to represent the monument being erected.
In the monastery, there are candles to an old statue of Saint Thibault de Velene. Even if his face was destroyed. => So it's a heresy. Two more guards remain.
-Low signal (something they can discover, but not realted to the the scenarion track:
Many people put their room badly Other books are a little illegible too
father alberic was upset at Father Etienne's wuality of work.
- Father Alberic (superior father) the superior father who worked the garden and found the body.
He heard a single howl, then heard him land.
-Father Roland (scribe mad) the scribe who copied books on the floor below (crazy)
He heard insults profusely, then punched "nooo" and jumped. (no marks of fists on the wall or on the body)
-Father Eudes (cook), the cook who met him last at meal (but silent)
During his last meal he was very agitated, he spoke to himself.
Rooms are brothel for many people.
Father Etienne's work deteriorated to the point of becoming abstract.
Choice: players must entrust the note to one of his people or to anyone.
If they leave it to a sane person or a specialist, he will tell them that it is gibberish.
If they entrust her to the madman. He will tell them it's a code. It means traitor. He will remain friends with them and tell them not to show this to anyone.
- Normal : Normal Horreur Cérulée
- Creepy Music (when something creepy happens) : Flippant le diable est dans la boite (when a player is poisoned)
The library is accessible only by a mountain path with a passage through a rope. Especially with the perpetual torrential rain falling. It has been cut. The players are stuck here.
- 10 min Laud bell. The pigeon loft is emptied. Weak signal (something they can discover): Toxic mushrooms are gone
- 20 min Tierce bell. The box that contained their sceals has disappeared.
- 30 min Sext bell. A player receives poison in one glass. He has one action. He need to decide to vomit. Otherwise stay feverish in bed.
- 40 min. Vespers bell. The food, clothing and old candle storage building burned. In the rubble there is a burnt monk with a metal torch.
- 50 min Compline bell. Players' door is nailed and the room is smoked
Aim: To determine the level of danger. (from 0 to 5)
For the moment there is only one murder, so not what to call the cavalry. The level of danger is 1 if they proved the murder, 2 if they proved the heresy.
There is a high rate of abstention from prayers. 5% +1 index
Many people no longer put their room 10-20%. +1 index
Some scribes write completely unintelligible. 5%. +1 index
When one of them gets poisoned : +1
+2 other stuff, theirs to find
From 5 clues, they can call the cavalry. Who in any case will come after the facts.
- Normal : Kin Amar
- Creepy : Ligeti
For each bell, there will be a kill. The players have to find a way to stop this.
Morning Bell 4:00 AM Matins bell: A person found with an ax in the skull. No clues.
- 10min-Ambience: They see a guy go down the halls with a wagon and say he's going to plant cereals and fruits. He distribute books on the floor
- 20min-Bell of 5:00 Lauds bell: A person found with an ax in the skull. No clues.
- 30min-Attack: As players take a flight of stairs, someone pushes a cabinet up the stairs. The cabinet will soon fall and they have little time to react. It's up to them to find a way to block it. For example, plant something on the stairs.
Very difficult to go down the stairs quickly enough, the nearest door is closed. But possibility of stalling something in the corner to block. Great chance that a player will be seriously injured and stay to bed. They can catch the guy who did that, he takes them for demons and is insane.
- 40min-7h00 Prime bell: Father Roland says "It's the Books" and wants to burn all the books. The players have the choice to let him burn the books or not.
- 50min-Ambience: Father Bernard has visions and starts to be insane
- 60min - 9h00 Terce bell: Death
- 80min - Players hear voices calling them. They start to go insane themselves
12h00 Sext Bell: Death
- 90min -The players hear voices calling them
- 100min-15h00 None bell: Death
- 110min 17h00 Vesper bell: Death
- 120min-7 pm Compline bell: Death
- 2h10-2h00 Vigils / Vigils: Death of Father Bernard. From this point on, everyone is insane, nobody responds or help them
Father Superior offers several plans to catch the culprit. He proposes the first two plans, then the two second ones if that fails: -Close the work rooms
-Close everyone in their rooms and do some rounds
It does not stop the dead
-Put everyone in the yard and watch each other
After an hour the rain turns into snowy fog. The clouds are coming down. There is a dead person and this creates panic. There remain the other options.
- Put everyone in the 4 reading rooms and monitor each other.
Jumps to the intro of the next sessions
-If players do research, it takes at least 4 hours. They find several hidden axes at different places, but there are probably others left.
- Normal and Creepy : Quake
The players spend the night in the library with all the other monks, all candles are light in the room. In the morning they are all intoxicated and paralysed, there is smoke on the ground.
For this scene Music: Behelith Father Arnaud tries to assassinate a player in the night. Dense smoke in his room. Father Arnaud walks between them slowly asking an insistent question, but impossible to answer: You eat our food. You kill our brothers. You steal our books. You cut our bridges. Do you have any politeness? What do you have to say for your defense? I'm listening to you. Answer. Then stab him.
Players know it's Father Arnaud (mad book binder).
Players must stop Father Arnaud and have him executed. And discover what happened in the monastery.
When they wake up, most of the monks are gone. The rest are either dead or asleep deeply. All the books have disappeared from the libraries.
- 10min-They find bloody books all over the hallways. With a piece of flesh in it. Then they find the same guy that was planting books. But now he's "feeding" them.
- 20min-Father Roland (mad scribe) (crazy) wants to burn the monastery.
He tries to convince the players to help him. Madness 1 players start to Hear voices.
- 30min-Father Raymond (crazy gardener) (crazy) is in the corridor exploded under a piece of furniture that fell. He was running away from something. Madness 2: Hear voices, tremble.
- 40min - Fruits! A bunch of monks took all the food, all the spices, all the salt, all the chemicals of the pharamceuticals and piled them in a big basin of water and it is put to the food to die of it. Two of them are dead. The food is inedible. More food than for 48h by rationing , the monks continue to eat.
- 50min-There are monks crying in a corner. He discovers his face, he has no lips, no cheeks and no tongue and bleeds abundantly. When asked who did this he wrote: "Arnaud devil"
- 60min-Players discover that they all have blood on their hands. They do not know where. Madness 3: Hear voices. Tremble. People talk to them in permissance. -1 has all your rolls.
Other actions: Action, Go see Father Bernard: (If Father Bernard (doctor) alive and if not burned the books) Father Bernard (doctor) is found hanged at home. On his table he has an open book on the page of an inhaling poison that drives people crazy. He has a broken candle he was analysing. It's a way to tell the players where the problem come from.
Action visit Father Arnaud's cell: Father Arnaud (mad binder) (crazy) covered his cell with candles. He is afraid of the dark. But of course he's not there.
If they try to go to the level 4 of the library, there's a grid preventing them from going up. It's closed. They need to find Father Alberic to open it.
Behind the gate they can hear a voice chanting.
Father Alberic has disappeared. How to find the father albéric?
It's his garden time. Players must find his usual schedule. And they will find it in the garden. He may also see that he is missing his gardener outfit in his room.
When they arrive at the top of the tower Music Gaunter o Dim
Go to the top of the library in his workstation behind the grid of the most secret books. There is a huge volume with jaws, Father Arnaud (mad binder) worked there for a long time and attached knives and bones to this big book.
The big book is readable, but it drives crazy if a player reads it.
The tower is covered with candles. Players do not feel well.
Father Arnaud reads the book aloud. It disturbs the players even more. At every step, they have to roll high or go crazy.
He is in a reading cage in the middle of the room with the book. To them to find a way to kill the arnaud father. -Drawing the grid does not work. -Pick through the grid is too difficult. -To turn off all lights is the right solution. -Possible to simply flee.
Once they turn off all the lights, it scares father arnaud and he fall on his own book. Turn off the light in real life when this happens. Then play the music "Behelit"
He is dead.
Finish to describe the scene.
In the cage, Father Arnaud had kept some letters he received. Nothing unusual in his letters, except that the writing becomes more and more confused.
They find one letter though that is very unsual
When reading the letter Music Danse Macabre
Sir, It is with satisfaction that I learn your taste for our candles. I am delighted with your new order. Know that my institution knows how to treat its good customers generously, you will no doubt appreciate my new merchandise. Your devoted Eugène Clavicle, the skeleton merchant PS: You will be pleased to learn that I will hold a booth at the Valfranc fair this year. Feel free to visit me on that occasion.
As soon as the game is finished, put those musics :
- Epique entre-scenart gagant 12-Pista de audio 12.mp3
- Epique entre-scenart gagant 12-Pista de audio 12.mp3 (put it twice)
- Fin epique glorieuse 06-Final
- Then loop this Playlist Normal-Prima
They have Three main choices :
- Keep Alberic as the head of university yes or no
- Keep the Library open, yes or no
- Burn the forbidden book, yes or no